According to 2011 data from the Pew Research Center, 78 percent of American adults online are using the Web to search for products or services they want to purchase. How do you make sure your business is at the top of the Google, Bing or Yahoo search results list? The answer is search engine optimization (SEO).
Google changes its algorithms up to 600 times a year. That’s almost twice a day. Search marketers know this well, but it’s important for all marketers to be aware of it to understand their organic website traffic and search engine rankings.
• Good keyword research will help you target the right audience. Visit Google AdWords: External Keyword Tool and do a keyword search with the words you think are most popular.
• Write good, compelling content that relates to the keywords you’re targeting. Blogs, white papers, useful tips and commentary about issues in your industry can all be keyword-rich content.
• Make sure your website has the proper title tags, makes good use of headings and features smart internal links with good anchor text.
• Develop a backlink-building strategy. Backlinks help you keep track and display other pages that link to your website. Your link profile often plays an important role in long-term SEO success.
• Use social media. Social signals are becoming an important factor in rankings, and a strong social media presence can encourage backlinks.
• Keep content fresh. Content marketing helps your SEO by providing sharable “link bait,” interesting information that others want to share by linking to your content.