White papers can be an effective content marketing tool. Besides building credibility and trust and establishing your company as an expert in its field, the real value of white papers is in lead generation.
To be successful, your white paper must capture and keep the attention and interest of your reader. There’s a valuable exchange of information that goes on here. Your reader needs to recognize that in exchange for their precious contact information, they are receiving something of real value.
Keys to a Winning White Paper
Make sure the content is compelling and offers solutions for the reader. With your target audience in mind, answer the question, “What’s in it for me?” Other suggestions to make your white paper a success include:
- Use interesting and powerful titles that arouse interest and curiosity.
- Write in a conversational tone as if you are talking one-on-one with a person.
- Every white paper needs a cover. Make sure it’s engaging.
- Keep it relatively short, around 14 pages.
- Make it easy to read. Break up the text with headlines, sub-headlines, bullet points, graphics and charts.
Even the best written white paper is only useful if it gets opened. And to get opened it needs to be found. Here are some ways to make it easy to find your white paper:
- Showcase the offer on your website.
- Send an email to your contact list to let them know about it.
- Post an announcement on your social media channels.
- Send a direct mail piece that leads the reader to a PURL (personal URL) to download the paper.
- Offer free copies through pay-per-click ads.
- Distribute printed copies at trade shows.
Plan for a Safe Landing
Don’t forget to include a landing page for your white paper campaign. All of your promotional channels should drive the reader to a landing page that gathers their contact information before enabling a download of the white paper.
In need of an effective copywriter and strategies for promoting your white paper? Give us a call.